Preparation of Ayahuasca
All information contained in this document is for educational purposes only. All our products are sold as collectors botanical samples, and are not intend for human consumption, in any way, shape, or form.
1) Add caapi vine to a pan of boiling water.
2) Simmer for 45 minutes.
3) Add honey, drink. You can chew some of the Syrian rue seeds also.
4) Add 4-5g mimosa per person, and all chacruna and/or chaliponga to a pan of boiling water.
5) Simmer for 45 minutes to one hour.
6) Add honey and drink.
7) Wait about an hour, watch the fireworks.
Please note, you are taking the two teas about an hour apart. It takes about an hour for the MAOI effects to happen, to make the DMT part of the second tea to work.
Ayahuasca, traditionally in the rainforest, has all the Banisteriopsis Caapi vine (Which acts as a mono-amine oxidase inhibitor) and the DMT containing plants (Generally Chacruna/Psychotria Viridis, Chaliponga/Diplopterys Cabrerana and Jurema/Mimosa Hostilis) are added all at the same time in a communal pot, simmered for around an hour and consumed. The amount of ingredients added to these large communal pots allows for the shaman led full ayahuasca experience to occur.
For modern shamans, often cooking ayahuasca for themselves or a small group, where ingredients are not free and unlimited, there are more efficient ways of preparing ayahuasca.
Normally, the MAOI ingredients used in ayahuasca are either Banisteriopsis Caapi/Ourinhos/Yage vine or Peganum Harmala/Syrian Rue Seeds. If using Syrian Rue, about 4-6g of the seeds are chewed, swallowed and rinsed down. With Caapi vine, the shredded bark is boiled and simmered fro 45 minutes to an hour in a pan of slightly acidic water. To make water slightly acidic, you can add grapefruit juice, lemon juice, powdered vitamin C or something similar. This helps the water dissolve the active ingredients, harmine and harmaline in to it. This can then be gently boiled down to a cups worth of liquid, which should have honey added - as it is bitter and a little funny tasting.
After an hour, Mono-amine Oxidase in the stomach is "turned off" and stops working. Mono-amine oxidase is an enzyme which breaks down certain compounds in your body. These ingredients stop this from working, so the active compounds in the other ingredients can take effect.
The other ingredients, those which contain DMT, are brewed in the same way as the Caapi vine was, and consumed in the same way. After around an hour, a prolonged ayahuasca spiritual experience takes place.
We recommend you research more about the preparation and cooking of ayahuasca starting at the Ayahuasca vault of www.erowid.org or at www.iceers.org.
- All ingredients sold on this website are fresh and potent, but "Traditionally" it can take more than one try to cook and consume ayahuasca correctly. The harmine and harmaline compounds contained in Syrian Rue and Caapi vine generally make straight lines start waving and give some other low level CEV and OEV. The other compounds in the second parts are more potent, this will help a psychonaut differentiate between the two phases of an experience. IF you try and fail to make ayahausca and achieve your desired experienced, you should not try again for at least a week - there may still be physiological symptoms you are not aware of in your body
- MAOI's are safe, as long as certain drugs and foods are not consumed in conjunction. If these notes are not understood and obeyed, death can result. This is why we do not condone human consumption of any of the collectors botanical samples on this website. It is recommended you do your own research. The following are examples of interactions, but they do not represent a complete list:-
The risk for serotonin syndrome may be increased by:- SSRIs, TCAs, atomoxetine (Strattera), duloxetine (Cymbalta), dextromethorphan (in many cough syrups), dexfenfluramine, 5-HT1 agonists [such as sumatriptan (Imitrex) or zolmitriptan (Zomig)], venlafaxine (Effexor), St. John's wort, or ginkgo.
Serotonin syndrome is a serious side effect and may be fatal. Symptoms include fever, muscle stiffness, and changes in mental status such as confusion or hallucinations.
The risk of neuroleptic malignant syndrome (restlessness, sweating, fever, confusion, and muscle stiffness) may increase with lithium (Eskalith, Lithobid) and tramadol (Ultram).
Morphine, meperidine (Demerol), and other narcotic pain relievers may cause hypotension and depress the central nervous system and respirations.
The following drugs may increase the risk of hypertensive crisis when taken with MAOIs or within two weeks of stopping MAOIs:-
- Decongestants such as pseudoephedrine (Sudafed)
- Stimulants such as amphetamine, cocaine, methamphetamine, or ephedrine (ma huang, ephedra)
- dopamine, methyldopa (Aldomet), or levodopa (Sinemet)
- epinephrine (EpiPen)
- methylphenidate (Ritalin) or amphetamine and dextroamphetamine (Adderall)
- buspirone (Buspar)
MAOIs may increase side effects of the following drugs:-
- bupropion (Wellbutrin, Wellbutrin SR, Wellbutrin XL, Zyban) - Increases risk of seizures, agitation, and psychotic changes
- Antidiabetic agents - Increases risk for low blood sugar levels, depression, and seizures
- mirtazapine (Remeron) - May increase risk for seizures
- carbamazepine (Tegretol) - May result in high blood pressure, fever, and seizures
Do not eat foods high in tyramine, dopamine, or tryptophan while taking MAOIs or for two weeks after discontinuing MAOIs. Tyramine, dopamine, and tryptophan are chemicals that can interact with MAOIs and cause hypertensive crisis, which is an extremely dangerous side effect. Foods high in these chemicals should be avoided. They include the following:-
- Cheese, particularly Blue, Camembert, Cheddar, Emmenthaler, Stilton, and Swiss, which contain very high amounts of tyramine
Meat and fish products
- Beef or chicken liver
- Other meats or fish that have not been refrigerated, are fermented, or are spoiled
- Fermented sausages such as bologna, pepperoni, salami, and summer sausage
- Game meat
- Meats prepared with tenderizer
- Shrimp paste
- Alcoholic beverages
- Red wine, especially Chianti
- Distilled spirits and liqueurs
Fruits and vegetables
- Fruits such as bananas, raspberries, dried fruits, and overripe fruits (especially avocados and figs)
- Bean cure, miso soup, sauerkraut, soy sauce, and yeast extracts (such as Marmite)
- Foods containing other chemicals that increase blood pressure
- Broad beans (fava beans)
- Caffeine containing beverages such as coffee, tea, and cola
Potential Side Effects: This is NOT a complete list of side effects reported with MAOIs. A doctor, health care provider, or pharmacist can discuss a more complete list of side effects.
Hypertensive crisis (Hypertensive crisis is the most serious reaction and involves dramatic increases in blood pressure and requires immediate care from the doctor. The hypertensive crisis usually occurs within several hours after ingestion of a drug or food that interacts with MAOIs. Hypertensive crisis can be fatal. Symptoms include severe headache, rapid heart rate, chest pain, neck stiffness, nausea, vomiting, sweating [may include a fever or cold, clammy skin], dilated pupils, and eye sensitivity to light.)
Manic episodes in persons with bipolar disorder [If not combined with a mood-stabilizing drug, MAOIs may induce manic episodes in individuals with bipolar disorder (manic depression).]
Increased heart rate or blood pressure in people with hyperthyroid conditions.
- Understanding MAOI's.
MAOI's can linger in the body - do not use any of the previously mentioned drugs or foods for a few days after any ayahausca experience you might experience in person in the rainforest. If a MAOI is active in your system your body is not "destroying" unfamiliar compounds, like caffeine for example. So if on a MAOI you consume caffeine, instead of you getting a bit of a high which then calms down over time, as long as the MAOI is in effect, it will continue at its highest intensity. Whereas caffeine is relatively benign, if it isn't degrading in your body it can quickly cause many problems and a few cups of coffee or coke can be exceedingly dangerous. Furthermore, there are dangerous compounds which if not destroyed, like tyrosine in cheese for example, then it will stay lodged in your system and potentially kill you. So make sure you pay close attention to which foods you should not consume.